This recepie for Chocolate Self-Saucing Cake was given to me by a friend in Australia, and it is absolutely delicious – I’m a chocoholic, trust me – and really easy to make. I’m a little lazy when it comes to baking but this was very simple and quick.
You will need:
For the Cake
1/2 cup of self-raising flour (meaning, flour that already has yeast mixed in)
2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup finely sifted sugar
30 grams of butter
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the Sauce
1 tablespoon of sifted cocoa powder
1/2 cup finely sifted sugar
3/4 cup boiling water – water MUST be boiling
Now for the directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (Or, if you use Celsius, 180 degrees).
2. Sift the flour and cocoa together.
3. Brush a largeish container with melted butter.
4. Add the sugar, flour, and cocoa. Mix.
5. In a different bowl, mix together the milk, beaten egg, butter, and vanilla.
6. Stir the wet ingredients with the dry ingedients.
7. Pour into a greased dish.
8. Mix the sauce ingredients, WITHOUT THE WATER, together.
9. Sprinkle the dry sauce mixture over the cake batter.
10. Now, gently pour the boiling water over the cake.
11. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, OR until the cake looks cooked. It should be split apart at the top.